#AskRuby: Our Top 3 Period Hacks
We understand that periods can be rough, so we’re here to help! While going through our own tough period experiences, we have created this list of our top 3 period hacks, with one extra bonus hack below! These have worked for us and will hopefully work for you!
Hack #1 - DIY Heating Pad
These are super easy to make and extremely helpful during those bad menstrual cramp days! Keep in mind, intense period pain is not considered normal—make sure you speak with your doctor if you experience intense period pain. All you need for this DIY heating pad is a tube sock, uncooked rice, and a funnel!
- Place the funnel into your tube sock and pour the rice through it. Keep filling it until the foot of the sock is full or until you feel it’s full enough.
- Tie off the tube sock with a knot so none of the rice can escape.
- Pop it into the microwave for about a minute. Make sure to check on it to make sure it doesn’t get too hot!
- Place on your abdomen to relieve muscle tension and ease your menstrual cramps!
Hack #2 - Food
Yes, you CAN make your period easier just by eating as long as you’re eating the right foods. Eating too many fried foods that contain salt and sugar (the best, I know!) can cause more harm to your body during your period. Try eating more foods like:
- Spinach - high in iron which fights fatigue and keeps hair, skin, and muscles healthy!
- Bananas - packed with potassium and vitamin B6 which eases cramps and reduces bloating!
- Dark Chocolate - high in iron, magnesium, and copper, all which help ease cramps and boost your immune system!
Hack #3 - Exercise
Doing light workouts the week before your period and/or during your period has been proven to help boost your overall mood, reduce fatigue, and even ease menstrual cramps! Here are a few types of workouts you can do at home:
Bonus Hack - BE PREPARED!
We’ve all experienced leaks, and they can be awkward and embarrassing! Here are a few things you can do to prevent them from happening again and be more confident during your period:
Make an emergency period kit
Keep this in your car, bag or locker at all times! Fill a cute bag (pencil cases work great) with any sanitary items you like to use. If your period shows up unexpectedly or if you run out of pads, this could be a lifesaver!
Wear period-proof underwear
If you’re unsure of your flow and experience leaks often, period underwear is a great solution! Wear them alone or with extra protection as needed—period-proof underwear is a great first line of defense.
During your period, proper self-care is important. Although cravings are high and menstrual cramps might be slowing you down, with these hacks, you can have the time of your month, every month!