10 Period Myths Busted by Girlology’s Dr. Trish Hutchison
at the Ruby Love Webinar Series 2021
By Kendall Paolicelli
Myth 1: The first sign of puberty is Body Odor
The average age when puberty starts is between ages 8-12. Puberty starts with breast buds 85% of the time and the other 15% of the time it starts with hair growth over mons, pubic hair.
Myth 2: If she has acne, she isn’t washing her face enough
The same hormone that starts hair growth and body odor can also be a cause for acne. Acne is mostly genetic but daily, healthy hygiene can help.
Myth 3: Her period will start soon after she has vaginal discharge
As estrogen starts to circulate in a young girl's body, so can vaginal discharge along with breasts buds. It is not a sign your period is coming soon.
Myth 4: She should have a period every month or 28 to 32 days once she starts
After getting your first period the first two cycles are the hardest to predict and can be very irregular. After the third period, it should be every 21 to 45 days. Then after a few years, it should be closer to every 28 to 32 days.
Myth 5: She’s through growing when her period starts
Hands and feet grow first and this is how you know puberty is about to happen. Then your arms and legs grow in the fastest spurt of 3 ½ to 4 inches in a year. Lastly, after you start your period your trunk grows!
Myth 6: Only guys grow facial hair
Males and females both have the hormone testosterone which causes hair growth, bad order, and acne. Hair growth occurs in your private areas, legs, armpits, nipples, and sometimes on the face. Some girls may grow facial hair but it is mainly dependent on genetics or ancestry.
Myth 7: I can’t use a tampon until I’ve had my period for a couple of years
Actually the opposite! You can use a tampon from the very beginning, it's just a matter of your comfort or preference while Aunt Flo is visiting.
Myth 8: It's OK if I miss a day of school because of cramps and heavy bleeding each time I have my period
Menstrual Cramps are a very common symptom of periods, especially in the first 1 to 2 days of your cycle. Instead of missing school try to relieve the pain by exercising, eating healthy foods and using heat packs.
Myth 9: Period Blood is always bright red
Yes, period blood can be bright red but it can also look pink, brown, almost black, and everything in between.
Myth 10: I should start my period around 12 years of age
Periods are one of the later stages of puberty and can happen between the ages of 9 to 16. The average age to get your period is about 12 ½ years old.