Why Do We Crave Sugar On Our Period?
We get it. You LOVE sugar, especially on your period. But do you actually know why you crave those sweets? Well, it has a lot to do with your hormone levels at the time of your period. In the time before and during your period your serotonin levels take a big dip. Serotonin (if you didn't know) is the hormone in your brain that makes you feel happy! So those days where you’re laughing and having fun with your pals, the serotonin in your brain is going wild. But on those days where you're feeling a little down (i.e- the days leading up to your period), your serotonin will be a little lower than normal, which is totally fine! But when your serotonin levels get low, you start reaching to things that you know will raise them again. One of those things is something sweet. This is why you may crave things like chocolate, ice cream, or candies. If you are seriously craving something sweet to eat, why not try this low sugar chocolate chip cookies?!
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 1/4 cup suncant (dehydrated cane juice that you can buy here)
1 large egg + 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until completely smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the sucanat and beat on medium-high speed for 3 full minutes. Stop and scrape down the sides as needed. Beat in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract on high speed. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- On low speed, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. The cookie dough will be gold in color, sticky, and thick. Fold in the chopped chocolate. Cover tightly and chill in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
- Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator. If the cookie dough chilled longer than 3-4 hours, let it sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes. This makes the cookie dough easier to scoop and roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Roll cookie dough into balls, about 2 Tablespoons of dough each.
- Bake the cookies for 11-14 minutes, or until very lightly browned and crisp looking on the edges. The baked cookies will look soft in the centers when you remove them from the oven. Allow cooling for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
This recipe comes to us from Sally’s Baking Addiction! You can find her blog and the recipe over at www.sallysbakingaddiction.com!
#Cookies #PMS #Cravings #Sugar #hormones